Category Archives: Home Insurance

Personal Injury – Homeowners Insurance

In today’s world of social media and online presence, by everyone in a household, it is important to make sure we are careful when sharing on the internet. Sites such as Yelp, Google +, Facebook Reviews, etc. encourage us to share our positive and sometimes not so positive experiences.

What does this have to do with insurance?

It is becoming very common for a business or person to file a lawsuit against someone for libel/slander. Example, A student posts something negative on Facebook about one of their teachers. The news spreads and the teacher ends up being fired and harms the teachers reputation. Whether, the information was true or false the teacher could possibly bring a lawsuit against the student/student’s family.

This family may have coverage to defend themselves against this lawsuit, IF they have personal injury coverage on their homeowners or renters insurance policy.

A standard homeowners insurance policy does not come with this coverage. The Personal Injury endorsement to a homeowners policy is one major add-on that is a must.


Find out if your policy has personal injury coverage:

California – 3rd Highest Homeowners’ Insurance

According to Property Casualty 360, California is the third highest state for homeowners’ insurance costs in the Nation. The median homeowners’ insurance policy is $1,678 a year.

Insurance costs vary widely depending on the risk and the location. California is no exception to this. Areas vary from rural farm, to mountain towns, to large cities, and beach front property.


If you want to see a list of the highest and lowest homeowners’ insurance rates by State, check out:

Flood Insurance and Godzilla El Niño

by Patrick Ramsay

You’re familiar with the saying “When it rains it pours,” but there’s a new saying being passed along California: “When Godzilla El Niño rains, it floods.” Though California has been in the midst of a drought for four years, there is no time more vital than now to protect your home with flood insurance. For most California homeowners, floods don’t rank among their highest concerns. Scientists are expecting this year’s El Niño weather cycle to be incredibly strong, potentially even surpassing the El Niño weather cycle of 1997, which was the strongest on record according to the National Weather Service.



In high-risk flood areas, there is a one in four chance that someone with a 30-year mortgage will experience flooding. Even homeowners in medium-to-low risk areas can be financially vulnerable to flooding. According to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), people outside of mapped high-risk areas file over 20-percent of all National Flood Insurance Program flood insurance claims and receive one-third of Federal Disaster Assistance for flooding. FEMA also emphasizes that flooding can occur anywhere that it rains. No matter where you live, a few inches of water can cause thousands of dollars of damage. Just like every other type of insurance, it is vital to understand what is and isn’t covered. From the insured building and its foundation to furs, artwork, and curtains, flood insurance will provide coverage. For a full list of what’s covered by flood insurance, click the following link:


Be proactive about protecting your family, your home, and your belongings. There is typically a 30-day waiting period from the date of your purchase before your policy will go into effect, so do not wait to get coverage. Contact insureCAL today to learn more about their flood insurance programs before it’s too late.


Turlock and Tornadoes: We’re not in California Anymore

By Patrick Ramsay

There’s no place like home, so when you hear the unlikely weather warning for tornadoes in your area, it’s natural to worry. While it doesn’t seem to be an ever-present risk for most of California, no state is safe from tornadoes. Most recently, a tornado touched down in Denair, California, and caused structural damage to multiple buildings. Not much can be done to prevent damage to your home before a tornado, but preventing further damage and injury after it has occurred is in your hands. Recovering after a tornado requires much more than clicking heels together. A large portion of injuries from tornadoes actually take place when people begin to clean up and recover from the wreckage. So, what can you do to ensure your safety and ease your recovery after a tornado?

Photo by David Carrillo

Photo by David Carrillo

Proceed with caution. Being aware of any structural and electrical damage could save your life and your home from any further harm. If you believe your home has been damaged, turn off electrical power, natural gas and propane tanks as a precaution. This allows you to assess the damage to your home while avoiding the possibility of fires, electrocution, and explosions. Avoid using the lights in your house until you’re sure your electrical power hasn’t been damaged. Avoid downed power lines and objects in nearby puddles of water as there may be live wires in the area. Report downed power lines to your local authorities and the utility company.


Dress for the part. Wear sturdy boots, pants, long sleeves, and gloves while you’re working through the wreckage. Tornadoes leave a trail of dangerous debris in their wake. Be weary of broken glass, exposed nails, and spilled chemicals and flammables. Use battery-powered lanterns and flashlights rather than candles to avoid further risk of fire.


Be prepared. The Federal Emergency Management Agency suggests building a Safe Room for your home to provide near-absolute protection for you and your family in the event of a tornado. While some people may have the option of building a Safe Room, not all are so lucky. There are plenty of precautions that can be taken and preparations that can be made to aid in your recovery from a tornado. Building an emergency disaster supplies kit with 72-hours worth of food, water, and supplies could mean the difference between life and death. Because you can’t be certain where you’ll be when a tornado touches down, it’s wise to have a disaster supplies kit at home, work, and in your vehicle.

Tornadoes are a ruthless force of nature. With winds up to 300 miles per hour, it’s vital prepare yourself with the knowledge today to ensure safety for you and your property tomorrow.

Flood Insurance: Does Your Homeowners Insurance Cover It?

Imagine, you are standing on your front porch and there is water up to your ankles, flowing into your house. You are thinking, “at least I have homeowners insurance to cover stuff like this”. Wrong. Flood and Earthquake perils are not covered on any Homeowners Insurance policies in California. These policies must be purchased separately and usually have a 30 day wait period before coverage is effective.

A recent study says Ventura and Oxnard California are at greater risk for tsunami than previously thought. A computer simulation shows that a wave 23 feet high could crash more than a mile inland.

On top of that scary thought, meteorologists are predicting an El Niño season with heavy rainfall and possible mudslides in Southern California washing homes and properties away.

Your current homeowners insurance does NOT cover flood. So what do you do before this winter hits to protect your property? Get a flood insurance policy!!

Any questions or for a flood insurance proposal, please, get in touch with an expert before it is too late.


Remodel, Flipping, or Vacant Home Insurance

Do you have a vacant house or vacant property? This could be because you are doing an extensive remodel or you are an investor who purchased the property as an investment and plan to resell the property.  A standard rental or homeowners insurance policy has exclusions built into them. These exclusions are specific to if a house is being unoccupied or is vacant. In other words, if no one is living at the property a claim that would normally be covered, is not going to be covered. So what are your options? You have a number of different options available but most common would be either a Builders Renovation or a Vacant Building policy. The Vacant Building policy will still cover smaller renovations being done, i.e. paint, carpet, flooring. The Builders Renovation policy is more for larger renovations or structural work, i.e. foundation, expanding, removing walls, adding walls.


If you are interested in getting more information or a quick proposal put together for your risk: